Thursday, December 11, 2008

Discovery Exercise #23 Is This Really The End?

And so the journey ends. This part of the journey, anyway. It's been a valuable experience for me; I've learned a lot. I was impressed with the power of RSS feeds and enjoyed seeing word processing from a different angle with Zoho Writer. Library 2.0 provided a glimpse of the library of tomorrow; Overdrive might be a precursor of what's to come on a much larger scale. My favorites were the visual sites Flickr and YouTube.
As for lifelong learning goals, I could use a number of these tools to locate and better manage information and thus use technology to my advantage. And, as I've worked through the exercises, there's been the opportunity to view problems as challenges.
I didn't expect the wide range of interactive sites that are available. I'd be interested in participating in another discovery program like this one. To answer the question in the title of this exercise, I don't think this is the end at all. This program is really part of an ongoing process of learning that helps us follow our fundamental value of service to library users. As long as technology is advancing, we need to keep learning.

No comments: